Sunday 8 September 2013

A message to a stranger - Louis Carstenz

Dear Louis

When I saw your mountain bag on the back of a pack horse my mind began to wonder.....

I know that you are from South Africa, Louis because I could see your address label as the horse went past. 

How old are you?

Is this your first attempt to climb one of the world’s 8000 metre peaks or are you a guide of some sort and therefore an old hand?

Are you married or single? Do you have children like me? What does you family in South Africa think about your desire to travel around the world to climb a mountain?

I wonder if we will meet high up on the giant that we are setting out to climb and communicate through snatched breaths or oxygen masks. I will be looking for you Louis.

Do you have anything else to do on your journey? Experience all that Kathmandu has to offer, meet the people of Nepal or live a simple life for a few weeks to declutter your mind and order your thoughts for the future?

Are you on the run from a busy career, taking a break or just up for a challenge? Climbing Manaslu is sure to be that!

Are you going to plan your life from now on in I wonder?

Whoever you are Louis, may you find what you seek, Sir.

Good luck on the ‘mountain of spirit’, Manaslu.

Yours sincerely,

Graeme

No comments:

Post a Comment